ITHACA, N.Y. -- One Kendal at Ithaca resident and three employees have tested positive for COVID-19, leadership at the retirement community announced on Tuesday, Oct.12. The staff that tested positive work in the health center but are not direct care staff.
Leadership stated that the three employees work in separate areas, which indicates community spread throughout Tompkins County rather than contact spread from inside the facility.
In response to the four positive tests, the community is taking the following steps, effective immediately:
- All visitation to the campus is closed.? This includes visitors to Independent Living cottages and apartments.? The exception to this is personal care aides. Window visits are also suspended for the Health Center.
- All common areas of the campus are closed to activities.? This includes the auditorium, the salon, the fitness center, the pool, the library and the activities room. ?
- Offering mail delivery to all residents’ homes. Meal delivery continues as well.
- All Health Center residents will be tested tomorrow.? Guidelines for co-horting Health Center residents are being activated.
- All staff are being tested twice per week.? We are reinforcing mask wearing and hand washing with staff.